Rack-n-Roll/Hutch’s Bicycles History
Hutch’s Bicycles started in Eugene, Oregon in 1927 by Earl Hutchinson whose nickname was Hutch. Hutch’s was originally a combined bicycle/lawnmower/key making store until the 1960’s when Earl’s son, Bill took over and changed the name to Hutch’s Bicycle Store. In 1978, a second store was opened in nearby Springfield, Oregon.
In 1981 a third store took over the Schwinn dealership in Bend, Oregon. Ownership of the Bend store was sold to then longtime Eugene employee, Jim Lewis. Jim worked hard to build the business in Bend, and in 1989 opened another Hutch’s location in Bend, on the popular west side of town.
These two locations are now Bend Eastside and Bend Westside
Mark Phenning worked for Hutch’s Bicycles from 1995 to 1997. In 1996 he pitched the idea of a stand-alone automotive rack store and in 1997 we opened Rack-n-Roll on Hawthorne Street in Bend. In 2013 we moved to our current location.
In 2002, Jim and his team opened Pine Mountain Sports, a hybrid bike shop and mountain equipment store. Hutch’s Westside manager at the time, Dan McCarigle, took over as manager of Pine Mountain Sports and eventually bought the business from Jim in 2004.
In August, 2005, Hutch’s Bicycles expanded into Klamath Falls in Southern Oregon to service the rapidly growing cycling community there, and in 2010 did the same for Redmond, Oregon. Jim is still a Hutch’s man, and the official ”Spokes-man” for the Bend, Redmond and Klamath Falls Hutch’s Bicycles stores – and of course, Rack-n-Roll.
Year-round, Hutch’s in Bend, Redmond and Klamath Falls employs 15 to 20 people who have come to work for us from all around the U.S.A. The Hutch’s family share a common theme: quality of life, great working environment, uncompromising customer satisfaction, and a passion for bicycles.